Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Meal Planning Doldrums

I sat down yesterday to plan this week's menu and suddenly wished I lived in a less prosperous country.  Maybe somewhere with two choices of food that everyone ate out of necessity and then moved on with their day.  I'm so tired of food and making decisions about food and shopping for food and preparing food.  Bleh.  I spent at least an hour looking through past menus and recipe sites, hoping for something that would even seem appealing, but I found nothing.  Everything looked gross.  I thought longingly of my college days when a three bowls of CheeriosCheerios Cereal, 14-Ounce Box (Pack of 4) sustained me through a day and I wished my kids didn't need more than that to thrive.  Okay, realistically, they could thrive on Cheerios, at least for a few meals, but they would rebel.  That means I've got to shake this off and actually plan some meals TODAY!  The only things that are even sort of appetizing are raw veggies and fruits.  Sounds like maybe it's a salad week.  Guess I'm off to search yummy salads.  Does anyone out there have a favorite recipe to share?

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For some reason my friend Tiff couldn't comment here yesterday, but she shared this recipe with me anyway. Looks delicious!

    Strawberry Tossed Salad
    -1/2 cup vegetable oil-1/3 cup sugar-1/4 cup apple cider or red wine vinegar (I used apple cider)-1 clove garlic, minced-1/4 tsp salt-1/8 tsp pepper-1/4 tsp paprika-6 cups spring salad mix-1 1/2 cups sliced strawberries-1 cup grated cheddar and monterey jack cheese-1/2 cup chopped toasted walnuts
    Mix first seven ingredients in a jar with lid, and shake well to mix. Toss remaining ingredients with dressing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our favorite is to let everyone build their own salad. I set out a bunch of different salad ingredients and let everyone have at it. My kids are more likely to actually eat a salad when they get to choose what's on it.

    ReplyDelete