Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Tuna for Tuesday

Life's little whirlwind has slightly calmed around my house, but I'm not feeling the love for meal planning what remains of the week.  I'm struggling to find enthusiasm for food at all right now.  Last week was full of pasta and fast food, which was convenient when we were so busy, busy but I really don't want to fall back on that again.  I'm thinking I'll make a pseudo plan based on what I have in my pantry, fridge and freezer.  Today I want to use some of the four -yes, four- heads of lettuce in my refrigerator.  (It's a Bountiful Basket thing.  We always get more lettuce than my family can eat so it stacks up.)  I remembered the yummy tuna lettuce wraps a local pub specializes in and set out to find a recipe.  I found several that really sounded good, but this one is the winner because I happen to have every ingredient on hand - again, a Bountiful Basket thing.  Who knew the jicama we got last week would just pop up in a recipe for tuna lettuce wraps?  So, here's what we're having for dinner.

(I copied/pasted this recipe and pics below from Appetite for Life.   I found this blog through a recipe search but I know I'll go back.  I like her style.  Please click through and maybe show her some love!)

Ingredients for tuna marinade:
¼ C rice wine vinegar
2 T soy sauce
½ tsp sesame oil

Ingredients for wrap:1 medium head of Boston lettuce, cored
½ medium sized jicama, peeled and diced
½ C carrots, diced
¼ C green onions, thinly sliced
1 acorn-sized fresh ginger, minced
½ C cilantro, roughly chopped
3 T fresh mint leaves, roughly chopped
2 T fresh lime juice
10 oz. canned white albacore tuna, packed in water - not oil!
Mix together ingredients for tuna marinade in small bowl. Drain canned tuna and stir into marinade. Refrigerate while you chop veggies.

Mix together in a large bowl: jicama, carrots, green onions, fresh ginger, cilantro, mint, and lime juice. Stir and refrigerate to let the flavors socialize.

Make a side of edamame. I know you know how to do that, so I won’t insult you. I WILL, however, give you a friendly reminder to put out a “dead soldiers” bowl for the empty bean pods, or else your peeps will be putting the shells on the table and/or throwing them on the floor and that is just plain annoying. This isn’t a peanut bar, cowboy.

Remove marinating tuna from fridge and drain excess liquid.

To assemble: Lay two large Boston lettuce leaves, stems up, on your plate. Spoon tuna (about a half cup) into the base of the leaves. Fill in remaining space with jicama mixture. Fold leaves, wrap together, and eat over a plate to catch the drippings.

No comments:

Post a Comment