Thursday, May 26, 2011

Urgh. Why is this Even a Dilemma?

My Uncle Ole in the 60s.
My Uncle Ole died this spring.  We weren't close - He lived in another state and I only have vague memories of him from family reunions.  I got to talk to him a bit on facebook the last few years though, and that was nice.  Ole's kids are having a family service in the town where he grew up this weekend.  I planned to go to be with my mom, who was delighted that she would finally have some of her cute grand kids to show off - she usually has to go alone because I'm the only one of her children who lives close enough to visit often and I usually find a good reason to just stay home.  Anyway, I was planning to go,  until our cute little neighbor and one of Miss E's best friends brought over a birthday party invitation for Saturday.  Conflict!  Normally, I'm always happy to jump on an excuse to stay home.  I love home.  Home is my favorite place to be.  This is different though.  It's not just a trip to see Grandma.  It's something we've been planning for weeks.  My mom has been looking forward to it.  I've told all my cousins I'll be there.  I ought to just suck it up and go.  I do hate to make Miss E miss her friend's party.  And I do hate to pass up a good excuse to stay home - especially on Memorial Day weekend.  Who wants to travel on Memorial Day weekend?  Not me, that's for sure.  But for my mom, for her brother's memorial, I need to be a grown up.

No comments:

Post a Comment