Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Wonderful Wednesday!

Today is Wednesday.  The third day of the week.  It's also the third day I've successfully stepped toward a new habit.  I read lots of blogs, and one I particularly like is called LifeHacker.  They write about all the thousands of tips and tricks to make your life more productive, fulfilling or simply easier.  Often their posts are about how our bad habits are holding us back.  (Read here, here and here for some really good info about getting ahead through good habits.)  It's not hard for me to look at all the things I'm dissatisfied with in my world and connect them to my own bad habits.  My primary bad habit is spending too much time online.  I've been getting a lot better about spending good time with my kids and keeping up on my housework, but I'm still not where I'd like to be.  I'd like an even cleaner home.  I'd like to get caught up scrapbooking.  I'd like to learn to sew.  I'd like to spend more time writing.  I'd like to spend more time with my dogs.  My two biggest "I'd like to"s are spending even more time with not only my kids but my spouse as well, and getting back into my workout routine.  Yeah, I've scheduled time for all of it, but I'm not very good at getting to it all every day.


The culprit is my mornings.  When I was a teacher I really hated having to grab my coffee and go, then drink it on the run while I got ready to teach.  My spouse was self-employed and worked at home, so even if he was "at work" he was at a quiet, comfortable desk enjoying a leisurely coffee as I ran out the door.  I was jealous.  When I became a stay at home mom, one of my biggest treats was luxuriating with my coffee as I snuggled Miss E every morning.  Well, that was two kids and three cats ago and lounging with coffee as long as I'd like is no longer working for me.  And yet, there I was.  Sipping my coffee till 10ish.  Oh, I'd get the girls off to school making sure we all ate breakfast along the way but really, I wasn't starting my day till 10 and by then I was behind the 8 ball. So, I'm cutting back on coffee/computer time.  I'd like to form the habit of being offline by 9 AM and so far so good!  I still give myself about 30 minutes to just surf the web and enjoy my coffee, but I've also given myself an hour every day for all the other things I'd like to do, and frankly, I feel great about it!  I've spent that time shopping with my mom, working out and playing with Mr. A.  It's been great, and each good morning feeds into a good afternoon as well.

The only thing I've missed out on is writing.  Lately, I sat down to blog after getting the girls off to school, but if I take the time to do that, I'm back to starting my day at 10 o'clock.  Soooo....  I'm trying to figure out where I'll work that in.  I usually have about an hour in my afternoon when Mr. A and Miss M are both resting so that's the logical time to write but that may be a problem if I have trouble getting busy again.  I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get there.  Right now, I have my eyes set on getting my new habit to day 21.

No comments:

Post a Comment