Sunday, October 24, 2010

Scrump-dilly-umptious! Caramel Apples

I must share a grand discovery.  Honey Vanilla Caramel Apples.  Two words: Yum! O!  I don't think I've made caramel apples since I was a tiny kid and one of my sisters was home from college with nothing better to do.  I haven't even really thought of them for years until one day a few weeks ago.  A friend mentioned she was making these with her little girl.  I quipped that if there were fewer than 10 steps I'd have to make them because they sounded so good.  It turns out there are far fewer than 10 steps and every single step is is well worth the trouble.  These are the yummiest, sweetest - but not too sweet - caramel apples I think I've ever had.  Miss E doesn't even like caramel but she couldn't get enough of these.  I'll put the link to the recipe under the picture.  Thank you Rachael Ray (and my friend, Alisha)!
*Honey Vanilla Caramel Apples Recipe*

***Feb. 2015 UPDATE***

I went to use this recipe and the original link was dead.  I was so sad!  Fortunately, google told me it was just on a new Rachael Ray site, but I don't want to take any chances with not having it next time I want it so I'm reposting the whole recipe here.  If you would like to see it on Rachael's site I have updated the link under the picture.

Rachael Ray's Honey Vanilla Caramel Apples

ingredients
  • medium red apples, such as braeburn, cortland or fuji, chilled
  • Ice water
  • 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 cups honey
  • teaspoon pure vanilla extract
directions
  1. Line a baking sheet with parchment. Skewer each apple stem with a lollipop stick or thick bamboo skewer. Fill a large bowl one-quarter of the way with ice water. 
  2. In a 4-quart, heavy saucepan, heat the cream and salt over medium-high heat until steaming hot. Stir in the honey and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Lower the heat to medium and continue to boil, stirring constantly, until the mixture registers 260 degrees on a candy thermometer, 30 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and add the vanilla. Place the pan in the ice water, stirring the caramel with a wooden spoon until its thick enough to coat the apples without running off, about 5 minutes. (If the caramel thickens too much, return the pan to medium heat and stir.) 
  3. Wipe the chilled apples dry. Working with 1 at a time, hold the apple by the stick and dip into the caramel, tilting the saucepan and twirling the apple to coat all but a 1-inch border around the stem. Place the caramel apples on the prepared baking sheet and refrigerate for 20 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment