Monday, August 9, 2010

Honesty

Honesty can be a difficult trait when it comes to yourself... It's disturbingly easy to pull the wool over your own eyes. I try hard to keep my eyes open and see the truth, even if it's ugly, so I have to tattle on myself today. I am an internet addict. Okay, maybe addict is a tad strong but it's much more than my achilles heel. That's part of why I started this blog. It's easy to make a resolution. If you don't tell anyone about it no one knows if you fail. It's easy not to be too hard on yourself when you backslide into old, bad habits. If you make your resolutions publicly, people watch. Some root for you to fail. Some root for you to succeed. Some don't really care, but you're on their radar and so they are mildly interested. Going back to your bad habits in public requires eating crow. That's hard. It's embarrassing – even if what you've resolved is far from important – because it's a public failure. No one desires public failure. This blog is my Public Resolution to spend less time on the great time sink of the internet, and more time taking care of and enjoying my family. For the first five days I did really well and was very proud of myself. I've been building up to this for a while now, and really felt like I was flying those first five days. Then the weekend came and I had penciled in “lazy” time, which I spent on line. I thought I'd get right back on the horse and ride again this week. If Monday was any indicator though, I have a long way to go. I covered my bases on Monday, but not very well. I covered all the headlines at my favorite news sites much better. So, I'm renewing my resolve to do better again on Tuesday. And I'll be very unhappy if I have to come back here an eat crow again.

No comments:

Post a Comment